Travel by Australians: June 2012 Quarterly Results of the National Visitor Survey
This report contains results from the National Visitor Survey for the June quarter 2012. It provides information on Australian resident travel within Australia, including overnight and day visits, and overseas travel (outbound).
Overnight travel within Australia: Year ended 30 June 2012
Overnight travel involves a stay away from home of at least one night, at a place at least 40 kilometres from home. A person is an overnight visitor to a location if they stay one or more nights in the location while travelling.
Total overnight trips
- There were 73.4 million domestic overnight trips taken in Australia, an increase of 3% compared to the year ending June 2011.
- Australians spent 278 million nights away from home, up 5% compared to the year ending June 2011.
- Two-thirds (68%) of overnight visitors travelled within their home state or territory, and the remaining 32% travelled interstate.
- Most overnight visitors travelled to New South Wales (33%), followed by Queensland (24%) and Victoria (24%).
State/territory visitor nights
- Visitors spent most nights in New South Wales (30%), followed by Queensland (27%) and Victoria (19%).
- Holiday overnight visitors contributed almost half of all nights in Australia (46%), followed by those visiting friends and relatives (32%) and those travelling for business (15%).
- Australians spent the majority of nights at a friend’s or relative’s property (37%), followed by a hotel, resort, motel or motor inn (26%).
- The main modes of transport for overnight visitors were a private vehicle (72%) and air transport (23%).
- Overnight visitors spent $49.8 billion, up 7% compared to the year ending June 2011.
Day trips within Australia: Year ended 30 June 2012
Day visitors (or same day visitors) are those who travel for a round trip distance of at least 50 kilometres, are away from home for at least 4 hours and who do not spend a night away from home as part of their travel. Same day travel as part of overnight travel is excluded, as is routine travel such as commuting between work/school and home.
Total day trips
- There were 168.8 million domestic day trips taken in Australia, an increase of 8% compared to the year ending June 2011.
- The most popular reason for day trips was holiday (47%), followed by visiting friends and relatives (29%) and business (12%).
- Most day trips were taken in New South Wales (32%), followed by Victoria (26%) and Queensland (22%).
- The main mode of transport for day visitors was a private vehicle (91%).
- Day visitors spent $17.5 billion, greater than the $15.2 billion spent in the year ending June 2011.
Outbound travel by Australians: Year ended 31 March 2012
Outbound or international travel involves a visit to another country. Only trips of less than 12 months duration qualify as international tourism.
Data for outbound trips is presented for the year ending March 2012 due to the 3 month recall period in the National Visitor Survey.
Total outbound trips
- Australians took 7.0 million overseas trips, an increase of 9% compared to the year ending March 2011.
- Australians spent 142 million nights away on outbound travel, up 9% compared to the year ending March 2011.
- The most popular international destination was New Zealand (14%), followed by Indonesia (11%), the USA (10%), Thailand (7%) and the United Kingdom (6%).
- The most popular reason for outbound travel was holiday (57%), followed by visiting friends and relatives (22%) and business (18%).